Sometimes people ask about the most effective skin care routine for men. There is not one single best routine as it depends on each man’s specific needs. However, a few quality products and fundamental techniques are effective and beneficial for most people.
While skin is skin, there are a few key differences between men’s and women’s skincare needs. The products and information in this article are specific to the needs of men. Men typically have thicker skin compared to women.
Since each individual has their own unique mix of qualities, there isn’t just one solution for everyone. The information isn’t intended to serve as a substitute for individualized care from a professional.
Skin Care Routine for Men: The Fundamentals
Here are seven categories of products that help your skin look its best. The following categories of products are effective for most men.
Start with a gentle exfoliating cleanser to remove the dead skin and debris from the day. Exfoliation removes the outermost layer of dead skin leaving smooth fresh skin exposed.
Have you ever wondered why you seem to have oilier skin than the women you know? Men have larger sebaceous glands (sweat glands) and larger pores. This combination means men are more likely to have oily skin. If you have oily skin, you may want to use an oil-control product to treat it for a less oily appearance.
Most likely you will need a moisturizer to help hydrate your skin. Since most men have naturally oilier skin than women you may not want to use the same moisturizing products. However, you still need hydration especially if you use rejuvenating skincare products that tend to dry the skin such as retinol.
Broad Spectrum SPF
A good sunscreen is a skincare essential since most premature aging comes from sun damage.
Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen that blocks both a range of damaging rays. Look for one that works to protect against UVA (aging rays), UVB (burning rays), HEV (high-energy visible light – think tech devices such as cell phones), and IR-A (which are invisible to the eye yet very damaging).
Depending on your needs, you may find a sunscreen that also contains oil control or hydrating ingredients.
Eye Cream, Serum, or Treatment
The skin around the eyes is one of the first places on the face where men start to show signs of aging. In addition, dry, flaky skin, fine lines, dark circles, under-eye bags, or puffiness are other issues that develop around the eyes.
The delicate skin around the eyes responds better to a milder moisturizer. Depending on your needs, you may also want a specialized treatment or a serum such as a Vitamin C serum. Talk with a specialist about your current routine because some great products may not be right for you.
Growth Factor or Peptides (30 and up)
Growth factors and peptides are similar and both are advantageous. Growth factors are proteins that your skin naturally produces. They help maintain homeostasis and help keep your skin healthy. They help promote collagen which in turn helps maintain skin elasticity.
On the other hand, peptides are amino acids that serve as building blocks for the certain proteins your skin needs including elastin and collagen. These ingredient classes are highly sought after for good reason.
Retinol (30 and up)
Retinols are a form of vitamin A that helps rejuvenate the skin and also helps treat acne. It is a long-used anti-aging treatment. Retinols do increase sun sensitivity and can dry out the skin so people who use them should also use high-quality hydration and sun protection products. At first, you may need to ease in when using Retinols; many are sensitive until their skin adapts. Retinols are now a classic staple in many people’s skincare routines.
Six Great Products to Try (and Why)
- ZO® Dual Action Scrub: This product does double duty as an exfoliating cleanser and it also helps with oil control. If you like to streamline your routine consider keeping it in the shower.
- ZO® Complexion Renewal Pads: This product is a great option for oil control. They are also convenient, we recommend keeping some in your gym bag.
- Alastin® Restorative Eye Treatment: Pamper your delicate under-eye skin with this treatment featuring TriHex Technology to support the production of new elastin and collagen. We recommend you use it twice daily in the morning and evening.
- SkinMedica® TNS Advanced +: Think of this serum as a multi-vitamin for the skin. It contains next-generation growth factors and peptides. The combination may help improve skin cell renewal and strengthen the skin barrier. We recommend you use it twice daily – morning and night.
- SkinMedica® HA5 Hydrator: This hydration product contains 5 types of Hyaluronic acids. It’s nearly weightless, fragrance-free, and helps the skin retain moisture for up to 8 hours. We recommend you use it twice daily morning and evening. As the most interesting man would say, “stay hydrated my friend!”
- ZO® Daily Sheer Broad Spectrum SPF 50: Another two-in-one product that serves as both a hydrator and sunscreen. It has a non-greasy formula with a matte finish. It is also water and perspiration-resistant. We recommend using it every day in the morning before you go outside.
Schedule Your Consultation
If you have questions, specific skin problems, or need skin care for men, consider going to The Skin Care Center by CPS. As part of the Charlotte Plastic Surgery Family, we are associated with a well-reputed practice that leverages expertise, experience, and today’s best products and enhancements. Charlotte Plastic Surgery has been a trusted name in the region for over 70 years.
In addition to selling some of the best skincare products on the market, we also provide a range of nonsurgical cosmetic treatment services including skin rejuvenation and hair restoration treatments. We are also Charlotte, NC’s go-to for injectables like dermal fillers and BOTOX®. Contact us to schedule a consultation whether you need to get serious about skincare or learn about today’s best rejuvenating procedures.